Online dating site PerfectMatch.com’s relationship expert Dr. Pepper Schwartz provided some tips on dating during the holiday season in a recent PerfectMatch press release. Many singles dread the holiday season due to all the holiday parties, the mistletoe, and the New Year’s kiss at midnight…but Dr. Schwartz shows single people how to turn the holidays into “holi-dates”.
"Admittedly holidays can be hard if you don't have a special someone to share them with," says Dr. Schwartz. "But, holidays also bring out the best in people -- the joyous, generous, celebratory side. This is an especially good time to think about who you are as a person. Remind yourself you are special, and another loving heart will be attracted to yours…There are so many opportunities for singles, it shouldn't be a sad time of year.”
Dr. Schwartz has provided singles with five tips that she thinks can be particularly useful during the holidays (even though the tips can be applied throughout the entire year). Here are the five tips, as quoted from the PerfectMatch press release:
1. Don't buy into the negative self talk. Most importantly, it's not bad to be single. The holiday season is a good time to be grateful for your blessings and good qualities. When you're confident about your own gifts, you'll be able to use your strong points to attract other people.
2. Be a successful single. A future life partner only enhances who you are. They do not "complete" you. Understand you do not need another person to make your life whole.
3. Change your thinking! Friendship is about quality, not quantity. If your relationship life is in the doldrums, it's time to expand your own horizons. This means abandoning the bars and relying on friends to help you meet interesting people. If you are a serious adult, interested in a serious relationship, it's time to try an online relationship site. Millions of people have met this way, and they all can't be wrong!
4. Put the focus on you. This holiday season, get into the spirit of the season by using the next few weeks as a time to focus on your own life. Taking time to understand your own needs and figure out what is missing from your life, can give you a better handle on what you need from someone else.
5. Socialize! Don't you find people are more responsive during the holidays? Well then, it's a very opportune time to perfect your ability to be friendly.
"Being single during the holidays can be difficult, but it doesn't have to be traumatic," concludes Dr. Schwartz. "Anticipate bumps in the road and make certain you are at your most calm, centered and radiant when you do go out to meet people. This is a joyful time of the year, offering an opportunity for a fresh start. Keep an open mind about your relationship possibilities, have fun and be hopeful for the future!"